Sunday, May 4, 2008

Thinking of selling the FJR

Well, folks, the time might be approaching. I've found that in order to really enjoy this bike, I need somewhat smooth roads, (which we don't have around here) which are twisty, (which we don't have around here) and without too many cops. (which we do have around here)

I went for one of my first solo rides of the season on it yesterday. I still had the rear tire inflated to 42 psi, since I usually ride the FJR when Kate is coming along. I should have deflated it to the recommended 36 psi, or maybe a little less. Man, it was just punishing on my back. That, and I was continually frustrated when I couldn't get past a cager in an SUV who was going 35 in a 40. (which I would normally ride at 70)

Sometimes, I go on rides and I return thinking: "Man, this is brilliant. Why would I ever want to sell this?" Other times, I'm thinking: "What a beautiful bike. Too bad my back hurts and I'm always inches away from getting arrested."

www.sport-touring.net (Region 4) has rides all the time that would take advantage of this bike's abilities. But I have to ride about 100 miles northwest in order to get there, and to be honest, it's getting old. Maybe I'm just a wimp, but with gas at its current $3.80 a gallon and 45 mpg, that is $17 in gas just to get there and back; that doesn't even count the fun riding, which would be another 200-300 miles.

Burgertime, on the other hand, gets 60 mpg most of the time, and doesn't tempt me into triple digit speeds. It is relaxing to ride, rather than exciting. Riding on rough roads in the suburbs at legal speeds is no big deal. No engine heat and no clutching in traffic. But if I sold the FJR, Kate would miss it, as it is the superior 2-up bike, and it is just so exciting.

Now, I'm getting ready to go, and can't decide which bike to take. The FJR for fun in the few twisty roads, excitement, and effortless power? Or Burgertime and just take it easy? We'll see. But one thing is for sure, if I don't start riding the FJR more, it's gone.

Still thinking of a KLR, as it seems to address all the issues. Better suspension for crappy roads, not as much power & speed to get me in trouble either.

I think I'll take Kate's advice: Keep it for at least one more year. (we may have a baby next year)

2 comments:

  1. Its funny, my friend just sold his 07 Burgman 400 and now rides his 08 FJR1300AE all the time. He had the Burg400 for less than 8 months and needed something more thrilling..what you had mentioned - the ride, the power, and fun; all of that plus more. I'm in agreement with you - a bit expensive, require long distant riding on smooth tarmac, and speed abusive power. I personally ridden his Burg 400 and found it to be ideal bike for all types of riding - even in the twisties. Besides who goes 70mph around a curve with a big drop off if something should go wrong. Oh..we live in Southern California and your recent trip here should give you reminder of what types of back roads we have.... good luck on your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments pvino. I'll think it over.

    ReplyDelete