Saturday, May 26, 2007

My "Small Bike" History

After getting the 1982 Suzuki GS850G, I realized that any proper big bike was going to have lots of engine heat. For riding around town, it is just not comfortable, and it was cooler to take my un-air-conditioned car. Unacceptable!

Thus began the search for a supplementary smaller bike:


1994 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - I bought this used for $1200. I didn't notice until after I made the purchase that it's aftermarket Yoshimura exhaust blocked the oil filter. Dammit! I also bought this thinking that my wife would learn on it. She changed her mind. Kawasaki's Positive Neutral Finder is a nice touch for newbs, but I would have traded it for a smoother shifting gearbox. This was the only 250 that was fast enough to get out of its own way. It would go about 100 mph on the top, but it needed the revs to get there. It didn't make any power until 8000 RPM, and needs frequent shifts. It is styled like a sportbike, but the seating position is actually more like a standard.
1994 Honda Nighthawk 250 - I got this the summer after I sold the Ninja, for $1200. Nice bike, but it had lean carburation. It was better than the Suzuki GS, as it ran fine when warm, but it took at least 10 minutes of riding to warm up. For cross-town stuff, this is not acceptable. My wife actually signed up for the MSF course and practiced in the parking lot on this bike. She liked it too. But on the first day of the MSF course, they scared her away from motorcycling. She has not permanently decided that she doesn't feel safe or comfortable enough riding. I finally sold this because of the long warm-up issue, though it could've been fixed by shimming the needles.

2006 Honda Metropolitan - After being discouraged by the Nighthawk for around town riding, I figured I may as well get the ultimate around-town bike, a nice 50cc scooter. I really liked this bike too, but with my wife unwilling to ride her own vehicle, and with it not being fast enough to leave town it didn't keep its excitement for long.


















2006 Genuine Buddy 125. - I believe this is the culmination of my search for a small bike. Fast enough for inter-town travel. Efficient enough (90+ mpg) & cool enough, temperature-wise. Fun, doesn't give a burning clutch arm. Just perfect. it has a good reputation among afficionados, but I'm afraid it is going to take a few thousand trouble-free miles before I'm convinced. (too many years on Jap bikes has made me skeptical of anything else.)

2 comments:

  1. With the Metropolitan, how fast could you get it up to on level ground? They're supposed to have a top speed of about 38 but I've heard of people getting them to go at least 10 mph faster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine would go 42 mph (indicated) on level ground with enough space. That is actually 38 mph because of speedometer error.

    The rev limiter didn't allow the engine to spin faster, so it would probably go 48 indicated if that were defeated or removed. The guys that said to remove the rev limiter also suggested to put a tachometer on the bike so you don't go past redline for too long.

    But that is only on level ground and with enoug time for acceleration.

    The main limitation that bothers people is that it it will only reliably go 35 mph. (indicated) due to wind, hills, chubby riders, etc. It just doesn't have the power to get up to that speed regularly. Then, of course if you're struggling to get up to 40 in a 40 mph zone in which other traffic is moving 45-50 and has no problem getting there, it feels kind of dangerous. Someone is always right on your taillight. (at least in the Chicago area!)

    The Buddy 125 was a much better around down scooter because it had enough acceleration to get out of its own way AND the extra speed.

    If I were to do the small scooter thing again, I'd get either a Yamaha Vino or a Kymco People 200 with the large wheels.

    ReplyDelete