Sunday, August 23, 2009

A country ride to the farmstand

A lot of my compatriots from advrider.com pride themselves on what rugged terrain they take their bikes on. I'm pretty jealous of the beautiful scenery they have in other parts of the country: Mountains, miles and miles of trails through the woods, desert.

But I guess we each have our own thing. Here in the midwest, I have to try pretty hard to even find a gravel road, much less dirt trails that actually go somewhere. But, one of my mottos is that there is a bright side to most things.

Living in the middle of the Corn Belt this time of year, I can ride 20 minutes to a farm stand and get sweet corn that was just picked this morning for $4 per dozen. This is very very good. Kate and I eat a lot of it every year around this time.

One day when I was out for a ride I saw one such sign for sweet corn at a ma 'n pa farmstand. As soon as I saw the tractor mailbox, I knew it would be good. The Givi V46 topcase has been the single wisest addition to my last two bikes. Not only does it give 46L of storage space, but also a great backrest for my wife when she joins me.



I stopped to get some. The father (farmer apparently) let his two little girls set up and run the farmstand, probably keeping the profits for themselves. As I show closer photos, see if you can spot any signs the stand was set up by little girls.



Well, I thought it was pretty well-done anyway, and those were the best apples I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment