Sunday, August 23, 2009

Visiting "The Birthplace of Modern Astrophysics"

This is pretty late, but I'm just getting through some of my pictures now. This was the first ride more than 10 minutes I took when I got the new KLR.


It is my favorite local place to go, and I highly recommend visiting if you're in the area. It is located in Williams Bay, WI, and it is called Yerkes Observatory. It is home to the world's largest refracting telescope and was built in 1897. Wikipedia has a nice entry on it.

The part about selling the land to a real estate developer is absolutely heartbreaking. They would surely ruin it. Read the details in the Wikipedia article above.

The photos above were taken on my cell phone, and as such, are not up to the usual standard. I apologize and I promise to add better ones at a later date. As a side note, when you are shopping for a cell phone, I highly recommend that you ignore the number of megapixels that is advertised. It doesn't really matter. The sensor is tiny, the lens is tiny and the quality will never look good anywhere except on a cell phone's screen. One of the best uses I've found for it is snapping pictures when I don't have a camera on me when I would otherwise have nothing. Another good application is when I have to part between cars, I'll use that camera to take photos of the license plates of the cars between which I parked. That way, if I come back to find my bike knocked down, I'll have a VERY good idea of where to start looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment