Friday, August 21, 2009

My new KLR650 is an oil-burner

I had read on klr650.net and on advrider.com that the 2008 KLRs burn oil for some reason or another. I had also read that Kawasaki fitted a larger piston ring for the 2009 models.

Assuming they had fixed the issue, I bought myself a 2009 KLR650. For the first 1500 miles, it didn't burn any oil. I was going easy on it, keeping the throttle below 4000 RPM for the first 600 miles, then below 6000 RPM for the next 400 miles. (per Kawasaki's break-in instructions)

Nevertheless, my KLR is now an oil-burner. On a recent 450 mile day to central Indiana and back, I went through a quart of oil on the expressway. At least I didn't burn my engine up, like this poor sucker. On the above-mentioned fora, there are a couple theories. One theory runs that Kawasaki has used some cheap cylinder liner, that soon goes out of round. Once it becomes even slightly oval-shaped instead of round, oil of course gets by the piston rings.

The other theory is that the oil is "aspirated" out of the crankcase somehow.

Over the years, there have been several suggested modifications (as opposed to farkles) for the KLR650:

- 685cc big-bore kit
- "Doohickey" modification (cam chain tensioner)
- Thermo-Bob (bypass thermostat system, for more constant engine temperatures year-round)
- PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) valve addition

Some folks have reported that the insertion of a $4 PCV valve in the crankcase ventilator hose was enough to stop the oil consumption. Others said that after several thousand miles, they burn oil anyway.

After exhaustive research, I have decided to install the Schnitz 685cc big-bore kit. My good buddies at KLR650.net and advrider.com have all reported that this forged piston kit resolves the oil burning issue once and for all. Not only that, but it yields a 6 hp gain and some torque as well. It is going to involve a pretty extensive engine tear-down, but I'm game. After all, that was part of the reason I bought the KLR in the first place: it is friendly to home mechanics. Today, I called them up and ordered it. I spoke to Ryan Schnitz (son of owner) and Shana Schnitz (daughter of owner) in the process. The mother also works there. Very nice. Not only am I supporting an American company, but a proper Ma 'n Pa store! I'm pretty excited about that. They also carry a lot of the other recommended mods for the KLRs.

Over the last couple of days, I have bought both the Kawasaki manual and the Clymer service manual. If you're shopping for service manuals, do not bother looking for the Clymer manual on ebay. It is over 100% more expensive than it can be found at other retailers.

I'll post more about the progress of KLR mechanical mods in the near future. I am going to the Sport-touring.net regional meet in a couple weeks. I won't be starting the install until after then.

13 comments:

  1. "My new KLR650 is an oil-burner"
    At least you have oil to burn. My first ride on new 09 KLR650 oil drain plug falls out, seizing up the engine. Now Coleman Powersports have gotten together with Kawasaki to not honor the waranty, because there are a couple of scratches on the skid plate (which to Kaw's discredit comes nowhere close to protecting the engine or bolt). However, the is not a scratch on engine near the bolt, nor any damage to the thread. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have written directly to Kawasaki about this? If you have, and they still decided not to honor the warranty, due to their exemption for offroad, you can get them. Tell them the scratch was not from off-road riding. If they won't fix it, sue them or just badmouth them on the internet. It will hurt them in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see this post. My 08 has been an oil burner since I bought it. Warranty replacement of cyl, piston and rings didn't fix it. Then Kaw. said a quart in 500 miles is normal for that bike. On my own, had the cyl bored and installed new Kaw. piston and rings, 0.50 over. It's worse now. Tried the Schnitz kit, but the larger-than-stock wrist pin wouldn't fit into the rod journal. Schnitz was good enough to refund my money. They're a great bunch. So, still looking for a fix. How did your 685 kit installation go?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a big defect on that bikes, a few months ago a I have burned out my bike, so I have changed the gasket and the camsahft. But now my bike burns like a liter of oil every 60 miles. So I need to buy a piston and ring @0.50 specifically for a Kawasaki KLR 650. So anyone know where I can get this parts? I hope you can help me.
    And remember to always check the oil level.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi, i have a klr 2010 and im having the same oil burning issue, how did it go with the 685? did it solve the issue?

    pls let me know,

    thanks

    pedro luis falla

    ReplyDelete
  7. my '08 seized 3 weeks after topping her off after 3 1/2 years of burning VERY LITTLE oil. i did the Schnitz 705 kit and after a proper breakin with several other mods/upgrades it is no longer burning ANY oil. i have developed a TINY leak at my front sprocket which i am having fixed a.s.a.p. but once that is fixed she'll be liquid tight

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very good information a really nice blog. keep it up!!!
    oil burner service in ma

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking of getting a a KLR 650 but now am unsure if i should.
    would you advise against it? i cant but a new bike was looking at a round a 2006 to 2008
    Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Could be your air filter is plugged causing oil to be pulled into the combustion chamber past the piston rings. I have found it necessary to clean my filter often.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just got back from a trail ride, yes... bottomed it a few times in the deep holes. Once we got to the main dirt road, I hightailed it back to the trucks. As I pulled up to the trucks, I realized the back brakes were not grabbing like they do. I stopped and noticed oil pouring out... plug was gone, lost about a liter of oil right there. Picking up drain plug this week and hopefully did no damage. threads look ok, looks like it just vibrated out. 1000 kms on new 2013. Love the bike so far overall, but in hindsight I'm thinking a KTM 500 would have been a smarter buy, but alot more money. ( alot lighter )

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you consider the price of a KLR 650 plus the doohickey and the 685 upgrade you still under $7500.At this point the KLR 650 become an excellent dual purpose Motorcycle all the high end dual purpose Bikes are a lot more expensive and even more expensive to maintain. The KLR 650 is not a racing bike but it will provide you a lot of fun for many years without hurting your walet

    ReplyDelete