Monday, September 10, 2007

I had a short ride home in the rain today

A little history first:

Kate got an externship a couple weeks ago. This is where she follows around an anesthesiologist and watches, and asks questions. For a doctor trying to land her first job, it is quite important to get clinical experience for her resume. Externships are very hard to get, as no one wants to take the risk of having someone follow them that might screw something up. But Kate lucked out. Her gynecologist had a friend in the right field who was willing to help.

So Kate's taking the Matrix to "work" just about every day now, probably 25 miles round trip. I have been riding Bud just about everywhere, and our poor old '98 Honda Civic has been gathering rust, sitting in the driveway.

So I got the insurance bill, which I choose to pay monthly to spread it out a bit, and noticed that we're paying about $55 a month for the old Civic just to sit in the driveway. Unacceptable! So I took it off insurance, except for comprehensive. (on the odd chance that someone breaks into it or steals it)

Part of doing this was accepting that I would eventually have to ride Bud in less-than-ideal conditions. Such as today.

This morning, when I took Bud on the 1.7 mile ride to the train station, it was just starting to drizzle. A quick look up at the clouds told me that it was probably going to rain more seriously later in the day.

After dropping my mother-in-law off at the airport and driving the 30 miles home for 2.5 hours, I had to ride Bud back home at about 8:00 PM. But this time, it was seriously raining. I haven't quite adapted as fully as I should have by now. I don't have the rain suit under the seat, and I somehow forgot to put the clear face shield under there too. For weekday commuting, I should just leave the clear shield on and put a pair of cheap sunglasses under the seat. Back on topic: I rode home in the rain, in the dark, with my dark smoke face shield on. The temperature is about 56°F, so it wasn't very pleasant. Not the end of the world, but not pleasant either.

Tomorrow is my last visit to the physical therapist for my thumb. I have hardly done any exercising at all that I was supposed to be doing. I promised myself that I would, but it is damned hard for me to remember to do it. Without doing this, I will not regain my lost flexibility. I'm taking Bud tomorrow too, and the forecast is better. 10-20 mph winds, which is a lot, but no rain and a high of 70°F.


2 comments:

  1. Riding in the rain without the right protection can be pretty rough. For those who don't ride they don't appreciate how cold it can be or how stinging raindrops are on an unprotected face or arms.

    Whenever there is the slightest change of rain I have protection under the seat. It is raining hard this morning but geared up right the commute to work is a pleasure....

    Good luck in your travels!

    Steve Williams
    Scooter in the Sticks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip. I really do know better but am just not thinking of them at the right time. My lockable, underseat storage is precious. I'm planning on getting a Givi topcase in the future, which means I won't have to be so choosy about what I bring along.

    ReplyDelete