Friday, October 26, 2007

It's raining and I'm happy anyhow...

"How can this be?!" one might ask.

Well, today is the day I decided to remove the rear wheel from the FJR. I was in the (relative) comfort of my garage instead of shaking my fist at the heavens. The tire is worn out, after 7,500 blissful miles, mostly two-up. The tire was an Avon Azaro AV46. It was a dual compound tire, meaning it's softer rubber on the edges and harder in the middle. (good mileage AND handling)

On with the story.

I visited FJRTech and printed up the instructions. After making sure I had all the tools, I printed up the pages on rear wheel removal from the Yamaha service manual. Next, I brought the boombox down to the garage and stoked it up with Mozart's early piano sonatas. The job took two CDs, and I managed to get through the job without beer, and without bleeding. Yikes! I have cursed myself. No mechanical job in the garage is complete until blood is drawn.

I really had fun. I didn't realize how much I've missed getting my hands dirty, and getting intimate with my electro-mechanical fun machines. The key is to have the right tools, and to have plenty of time for the job. By taking one's time, one noticed little things about one's bike that need attention. These things are mostly hazed over by mechanics other than the one who rides the bike. The hardest part was getting the bike on the centerstand on those blocks; I needed Kate's help.

After I get the rear wheel with new tire back on, I'll do the front. Also on the maintenance schedule for this winter is new sparkplugs, change of coolant, check front brake pad wear, and change of oil. (Amsoil 10W-40)
I've found that the shifting action immediately became slicker after I changed to Amsoil synthetic. Also, Amsoil seems to be the only oil company with the guts to admit that you can double your oil change interval by using their oil compared to petroleum-based oils. The other companies are so anxious to sell us more oil that they don't admit it. Their loss. I prefer to support the little businesses whenever possible anyhow.

No comments:

Post a Comment